Aytan Y. Bellin, Managing Attorney, has over 30 years of litigation experience. He has recovered multi-million dollar awards for his clients against some of the largest firms in the country, been appointed class counsel on multiple occasions, and litigated cases from complaint through appeal throughout the United States.
Mr. Bellin has extensive experience drafting pleadings and writing motions, appeals and legal memoranda, and has argued numerous motions and appeals in federal and state trial and appellate courts.
After graduating Columbia University Law School where he served as an Editor of Columbia Law Review, he clerked for two years for Judge Kenneth Conboy of the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. He then served in both the Trial and Appeals divisions of the New York County District Attorney’s Office under Robert Morgenthau, where he argued numerous appeals in both the Appellate Division and the New York Court of Appeals. Mr. Bellin also worked as a commercial litigator at Katsky Korins LLP where, among other accomplishments, he succeeded in getting leave granted to New York Court of Appeals of a multimillion dollar judgment, which resulted in a dramatically favorable settlement for the client.
A highly respected litigator in elder and disabilities law, Bellin advanced the field in New York State by successfully bringing litigation that allowed many thousands of New Yorkers with disabilities to remain at home rather than be forced into institutions. In another case, through appellate litigation, he established a novel right to emergency Medicaid benefits for persons with immediate needs for home care services.
Mr. Bellin has also served as Counsel to the New York State Task Force on Life and the Law, nationally-recognized interdisciplinary commission, appointed by the New York State Governor, with a mandate to develop legal, ethical and policy recommendations for New York State on issues raised by medical advances. He was also a member of the Institutional Review Boards of two major New York hospitals.
Mr. Bellin lives in Westchester with his wife and two children.
Columbia University School of Law, JD, 1991
- Editor, Columbia Law Review
- Haft Moot Court Prize for Best Appellate Brief
- Emil Schlesinger Labor Law Prize
- Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar (all three years)
Yale University, B.A. Psychology, magna cum laude, May 1987
- Distinction in Psychology
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals D.C. Circuit
- U.S. District Court S.D.N.Y.
- U.S. District Court E.D.N.Y
- U.S. District Court N.D.N.Y.
- U.S. District Court D.N.J.
- U.S. District Court D. Conn.
- U.S. District Court D.D.C.
- U.S. District Court W.D. Wis.
- U.S. District Court D. Neb.
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Certifications and Awards
New York State Bar Association litigation award for an individual who has advanced the rights of the elderly and persons with disabilities (2015).
Certified Information Privacy Professional (CIPP/US, Private Sector)
International Association of Privacy Professionals